We hope this message finds you all enjoying the summer. As you all know, the current pandemic has created a situation that makes it difficult for bands to operate in the same manner in which we have become accustomed. Consequently, band directors and assistants from BHS and CHS have worked collaboratively with Burleson ISD for several days to evaluate the guidelines from TEA and/or UIL, and have outlined a plan in accordance with the guidance provided. We unanimously agreed/concluded that the items below were best for our students.
Please know, above all other considerations, we are primarily committed to the safety and wellness of our students. The need for social distancing in both rehearsal and performance settings, as well as the potential for reduced numbers of students allowed in any setting (including transportation), has led us to make the following alterations to the participation of our marching bands.
- Summer band will operate virtually, until the start of the school year (August 31 st ). Band directors will soon provide information regarding virtual start dates, how band will look, and explain participation procedures.
- Upon return to campus, BHS/CHS band directors will monitor the health and wellness of their students and follow the guidelines established by TEA, UIL, state and local health officials.
- BHS/CHS Bands plan to perform a field show that, while displaying the level of musical and visual excellence for which they are noted, may be reduced in length, demand, and other areas.
- BHS/CHS Bands will not take part in any competitive marching events, including the UIL Region Marching Contest. However, other contests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis based on guidance at that time.
- Attendance and participation of bands at football games will be evaluated on a weekly basis. Decisions made regarding game participation will apply to both high school band programs, in consideration of the most current state guidelines on social distancing at the time, and in the interest of the health and safety of our students. Band directors will continuously evaluate the season as it goes and plan to perform at games, if and when it is safe to do so.
This was a difficult decision for us. However, it is one we believe will allow our students to have a positive and safe experience and will emphasize the core values of our band programs. Please know that we will continue to monitor the situation and thank you all, in advance for your flexibility as we continue to adapt to our current reality. We will do everything we can to make this a positive school year for every student.
Respectfully, Mr. Day, Mr. Murphy, and the BHS/CHS Band Staff